University of Southern California
ASTE 523, Spring 2023
Design of Low-Cost Space Missions
A Near-Term Income-Generating, Lunar Settlement
Living on the Moon in the Next Decade
- Dr. James R. Wertz—University of Southern California, Microcosm, Inc.
- Dr. Shirley Dyke—Purdue University
- ASTE-523, Spring 2023 Course Administration Info
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Section 0-1
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Course Syllabus
- NASA Lunar Exploration Objectives Table
- The Lunar Commerce Portfolio
- Gerard K O’Neill 1977 Video
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Part 2
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Part 3
- Feb. 2 Guest Lecture Dr. Shirley Dyke—Purdue University
- ASTE-523, Spring 2023 Lunar Bibliography (**UPDATED** 3/24/23)
- Crawford, Ian A. “Lunar Resources: A Review” Accepted for publication in Progress in Physical Geography.
- “NASA’s Exploration Systems Architecture Study.” NASA-TM-2005-214062. November 2005.
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Part 3
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Supplement-1
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Supplement-2
- Foust, Jeff. “Intuitive Machines completes SPAC Merger.” SPACE NEWS Feb. 13, 2023.
- NASA/TP—2022-0018058 “State-of-the-Art Small Spacecraft Technology.” Small Spacecraft Systems Virtual Institute, Ames Research Center, Jan. 2023.
- Tognetti, Laurence. “‘PneumoPlanet’ inflatable moon habitat could house 32 astronauts.” space.com, Feb. 10.
- “The Global Expert Group on Sustainable Lunar Activities just published The Recommended Framework and Key Elements for Peaceful and Sustainable Lunar Activities.” Press Release. Vienna, Austria, Feb. 10, 2023.
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Part 4B
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Part 5B
- “Low-Cost, Large-Scale, Near-Term Sustainable Lunar Colony” May 30, 2015 NASA 2015 RASC-AL Competition. University of Southern California.
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Midterm Instructions
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Part 5D
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Supplement 3
- National Cislunar Science & Technology Strategy November 2022
- “Space Policy and Our Return to the Moon.” USC Department of Astronautical Engineering ASTE Seminar by Dr. Greg Autry. Flyer Thursday Mar. 30.
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Part 6
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Part 7
- Academic Research in The University of Southern California (USC) Near Term Lunar Settlement Research Group (N-TLSRG) and on the Moon Description
- Lunar Settle Project 2023. Near-Term Lunar Settlement Research Group (N-TLSRG) Questionnaire
Homework Assignments (Adobe .pdf files)
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Homework #1.pdf (68 kb)
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Homework #2.pdf (117 kb)
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Homework #3.pdf (91 kb)
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Homework #4A.pdf (83 kb)
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Homework #5.pdf (69 kb)
- ASTE-523 Spring, 2023 Homework #6.pdf (88 kb)
Grades to Date (Adobe .pdf file)
Nothing posted at this time.
Final Grades (Adobe .pdf file)
Nothing posted at this time.
- Howe, A. Scott. “50-year Window to Establish a Space Faring Civilization”, 2015.
- Zegler, F. “A Commercially Based Lunar Architecture.” 2009.
- Zuniga, Allison F. “A Viable and Sustainable Economic Plan for Building and Maintaining an International Lunar Station.” 2015.
- Wertz, James R. “An O’Neill Lunar Colony Living on the Moon in the Next Decade.” 2022.
- Wertz, James R. “Architecture for Developing an Economically Viable International, Lunar Surface Exploration.” 2012.
- Crawford, I. A. “Back to the Moon: The Scientific Rationale for Resuming Lunar Surface Exploration,” 2012.
- Stone, Jerry. “BIS Study Project Advancing Colony Engineering-References and Source Material.” 2015
- Books for USC Library.
- Lemarquis, Natalia. “Business Case Study for the Cycler: A Circumlunar Vehicle for Development of Space Tourism and Lunar Infrastructure by 2030.” 2022.
- Miller, Charles. “Economic Assessment and Systems Analysis of an Evolvable Lunar Architecture that Leverages Commercial Space Capabilities and Public-Private-Partnerships.” 2015.
- Johnson, Kaitlyn. “Fly Me to The Moon: Worldwide Cislunar and Lunar Missions.” 2022.
- Levrino, Luca. “Human Life Support in Permanent Lunar Base Architectures.” 2014.
- Altaf, Naeem. “IBM Space Overview.” 2022.
- Gatto, Giacomo. “Incremental Architectures for a Permanent Human Lunar Outpost with a Focus on ISRU Technologies.” 2014.
- CNN Travel. “Inside the Space Hotel Scheduled to Open in 2025.” 2022.
- Borowski, Stanley K. “Key Technologies, Systems, and Infrastructures Enabling the Commercialization and Human Settlement of Low Earth Orbit, the Moon, and Cislunar Space.” 2021.
- Zuniga, Allison F. “Kickstarting a New Era of Lunar Industrialization via Campaign of Lunar COTS Missions.” 2018.
- Thomas, Stephanie. “LCOE Model Breakdown.” 2020.
- Ancarola, B. “LUME (Lunar Mission for Exploration): A New ASI Proposal for Lunar Exploration and In-Situ Resource Utilization.” 2004.
- International Space University. “Luna Gaia: A Closed Loop Habitat for the Moon Final Report.” 2006.
- Zuniga, Allison F. “Lunar COTS: An Economical and Sustainable Approach to Reaching Mars.”
- Schmitt, Harrison H. “Lunar Helium-3 Fusion Resource Distribution.” 2006.
- Berger, Eric. “NASA is Supporting Some Seriously Risky Missions to the Moon-It’s About time.” 2022.
- Maryniak, George E. “Resources of Free Space vs. Flags and Footprints on Mars.” 1996.
- Sanders, Gerald B. “Results From the NASA Capability Roadmap Team for In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU).” 2004.
- Brahambhatt, Rupendra. “Scientists Grow Plants in Soil Samples Collected from the Moon.” 2022.
- McLeod, Claire L. “Sources of Extraterrestrial Rare Earth Elements: To the Moon and Beyond.” 2017.
- Henn, Norbert. “Space Exploration – Why Humans Should Go to the Moon First.” 2013.
- Eder, Dani. “Space Systems Engineering-Fundamentals, Technologies, and Projects for the 21st Century.” 2018.
- Sowers, George F. “The Business Case for Lunar Ice Mining.” 2021.
- Reibaldi, Giuseppe. “The Lunar Commerce Portfolio, First Edition.” 2022.
- Jordan, Matthew Ryan. “The Road to Red Rocks: A History and Critique of Mars Exploration and Select Mars Mission Models.” 2017.
- Montague, Michael. “The Role of Synthetic Biology for In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU).” 2012.
- Moore, C. B. “Total Carbon and Nitrogen Abundances in Apollo 11 Lunar Samples and Selected Achondrites and
- Purves, Lloyd R. “Use of a Lunar Outpost for Developing Space Settlement Technologies.” 2008.
- “Use of Lunar Resources on Earth.” 2022.
- Baxenddle, Helen. “Video of Construction of Air Tight Radiation Protection Cover for Chernobyl Site.” 2016.
- Asimov, Isaac. “Why We Must Colonize the Moon.” 1969.
- Hopkins, Mark Myron. “A Cost Benefit Analysis of Space Manufacturing Facilities.”
- Driggers, Gerald W. “A Factory Concept for Processing and Manufacturing with Lunar Material.”
- Buddington Patricia A. “A Lunar Propellant Supply System.”
- Siegel, Yanai Z. “A Survey of Lunar Property Law.”
- Koelle, H. H. “A Systems Architecture of Extraterrestrial Production.”
- Keller, Rudolf. “Aluminum-A Lunar Engineering Material.”
- Crockett R. S. “Application of Ceramic-Ceramic Joining To In-Situ Resources in the Construction of Large Lunar
- Glaeser, Ludwig. “Architecture Studies for a Space Habitat.”
- Kolm, Henry H. “Basic Coaxial Mass Driver Reference Design.”
- Redd, Larry. “Cost-Effectiveness of Lunar Oxygen and Lunar Hydrogen in Future Space Transportation.”
- Hornik, Morris; and Carole Hornik. “Defining the Critical path: Summary of a Discussion.”
- Criswell, David. “Demandite, Lunar Materials and Space Industrialization.”
- Maruyama, Magoroh. “Diversity, Survival Value, and Enrichment: Design Principles for Extraterrestrial Communities.”
- Bialla, Paul H. “Early Lunar Access.”
- Kirk, Brian. “Entrepreneurial Space Business.”
- Carrier, W. David. “Excavation Costs for Lunar Materials.”
- Finney, Ben R. “Exploring and Settling Pacific Ocean Space.”
- Kline, Richard L. “Fabrication Methods for Large space Structures.”
- Wong-Swanson, Belinda. “Factors Which Affect Heat Rejection System Design For Lunar Production Systems.”
- Vajk, J. Peter. “Financing Alternatives for Space Industrialization.”
- Eisenberg, S. David. “Funding the High Frontier–A Different Approach.”
- Dunstan, James. “Funding the High Frontier–Old Lessons We Must Once Again Learn.”
- Altenberg, B. H. “Identifying the Challenges of a Lunar Materials Processing Plant.”
- Barmby, John G. “Improving the Justification For Space Industrialization.”
- Eder, Dani. “Lunar Base Logistics.”
- Criswell, David. “Lunar Materials.”
- Steurer, Wolfgang H. “Lunar Overview by Vapor Phase Pyrolysis.”
- Keller, Rudolf. “Lunar Production of Oxygen by Electrolysis.”
- Landis, Geoffrey A. “Lunar Production of Solar Cells: A Near-Term Product for a Lunar Industrial Facility.”
- Garvey, John. “Lunar Resource Processing Using Solar Energy-A Research Project Status Report.”
- Phinney, William C. “Lunar Resources and their Utilization.”
- Risley, Robert C. “Lunar Resources Utilization-An Economic Assessment.”
- Beyer, Larry A. “Lunarcrete.”
- Cutler, Andrew Hall. “Metallurgical Properties of Lunar and Asteroidial Steels.”
- Hannah, Eric Cabot. “Meteroid and Cosmic-Ray Protection.”
- Tischler, Adelbert O. “Near Term Chemically-Propelled Space Transport Systems.”
- O’Neill, Gerard K. “Overview and Outline of Mass-Driver Two.”
- Waldron, R. D. “Overview of Methods for Extraterrestrial Materials Processing.”
- Jenson, Eric B. “Oxygen Liquefaction and Storage System for a Luna Oxygen Production Plant.”
- Lin, T. D. “Physical Properties of Concrete made with Apollo 16 Lunar Soil Samples.”
- Trivelpiece, Keith. “Potential Benefits of a Vegetarian Diet in Space Settlements.”
- Leggett, Nickolaus E. “Proposal for the Development and Application of the Mass Driver.”
- O’Neill, Gerard K. “Recent Developments in Mass Drivers.”
- Engel, Joseph H. “Start Up Considerations for a Space Manufacturing Enterprise.”
- Criswell, David R. “Scaling and the Start-Up Phase of Space Industrialization.”
- Keller, Rudolg. “Silicon, Aluminum and Oxygen From Lunar Ore.”
- Goldman, Nathan C. “Space Law: The Third Generation.”
- Podnieks, E. R. “Terrestrial Mining Technology Applied to Lunar Mining.”
- Sterns, Patricia M. “The Art of Living in Space: A Preliminary Study for the Local Government of a Space Community.”
- Goldberg, Aaron H. “The Economics of Bootstrapping Space Industries-Development of an Analytica Computer Model.”
- Heiss, Klaus P. “The Economics of Space Industrialization: A Phased Approach.”
- Demisch, Wolfgang H. “The Financial Climate for Space Development.”
- Maryniak, Gregg E. “The High Frontier Vision: 1993 Status and Strategy.”
- White, Frank. “The Overview Effect: A Study of the Impact of Space Exploration on Individual and Social Awareness.”
- Dupas, Alain. “The Potential Global market in 2025 for Satellite Solar Power Stations.”
- Heppenheimer, T. A. “Trajectory Dynamics in the Earth-Moon System.”
- Cutler, Andrew Hall. “Transportation Economics of Extraterrestrial Resource Utilization.”